Well, I don't know about you, but with the mercury rising these days to some crazy temps (especially here in Vegas), our go to foods are often much "cooler" and more refreshing foods! I'm talking about fresh and raw veggies and fruits. No, I'm not telling you to go on this raw diet and forgo cooked foods ; ), but adding in more of the fresh stuff can help bring down those temps maybe a tad or two ; )! Today's recipe is a cucumber and avocado salsa...& it is super easy to make...you can't beat it! I made this for my hubby and kids last week and we topped it on "street tacos" (steak for him and veggie ones for the rest of us) and it was a HIT! The nice thing about this recipe is that you can alter the salsa to be mild (which is what I did since my kids were eating it too...I simply omitted the jalapeno) or spicy...whatever you fancy ; )!
- 1 medium English cucumber, seeded & diced (I simply cut in half lengthwise and with a fork gently ran it up & down the length of it to remove the seeds)
- 2 medium or 3 small ripe (yet firm) avocados, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (I used 2.5 limes to get this amount)
- salt to taste (I prefer sea salt)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded & finely chopped (adjust to your preference or omit for mild salsa)
Gently combine all the ingredients in a bowl to thoroughly mix. Serve within an hour of preparing...enjoy!
Leave me a comment and let me know how it goes!