Thursday, May 24, 2012

Homemade Cilantro & Pineapple Popsicles


Hey there everyone!  How has everyone been since the last time I posted here?  I hope all is well and you are still making your health a priority….because if you don’t, no one will! Well enough of that…let’s get down to business ; )! I don’t know about you, but all of us out here in Las Vegas (& I’m sure out in Texas as well) are doing just about everything to keep ourselves cool from this crazy heat!  I’ve brought to you today a recipe that will sure prove to be a staple for y’all during this spring/summer heat not only this year, but hopefully for many years to come ; )  We all know that popsicles (a classic hot weather favorite) help to quench your thirst and sweet tooth all while helping to keep you cool; however, so many brands of popsicles are lacking in any kind of nutritional value whatsoever! So, why not make your own?! Also, surprisingly to some, they are super easy to make and well, if I must say, they taste a whole lot better too and are a healthier alternative to buying the prepackaged kind…it’s a win, win!
I’m here today with your next recipe…homemade cilantro & pineapple popsicles! I know, you’re thinking…cilantro, in a dessert?! That sounds just a bit “off’ and I admit that at first I was a bit skeptical, but seriously, don’t knock it until you try it ; )…it will completely surprise you! Pineapple is naturally quite pulpy and gives these a nice “bite” when eating them….while the cilantro gives them this nice "herby" and fresh taste! They do require a bit of a sweetener, but keep in mind that you don’t only have to use sugar…you can substitute stevia extract or even honey.   Also, besides the ingredients, you also need a a popsicle mold…I got kind of lucky because last summer I found one on clearance at Target; however, this one was for only making 4 pops and I needed a mold for more like 8-10 popsicles with this recipe.  I found an 8 popsicle mold (for $2.50!!!) at Target a few days ago in the dollar section near the entrance of the store…I’m not making any promises, but if you’re lucky you may still find one there because you can’t really beat that price! So….here goes…

Ingredients
-1 ripe pineapple, cut into small chunks
-Handful of fresh cilantro leaves
-1/3  cup sugar (like I said, you can substitute honey as well, I would keep the honey to more like ¼ cup since it is sweeter tasting, but if you really like that honey flavor go ahead and still use 1/3 cup and if you want to substitute stevia extract for the sugar, keep in mind that stevia is 25-30 times sweeter then sugar so a little goes a long way so roughly 2 to 2 1/2 tsp should be sufficient)
-Juice of ½ a lime
-Pinch of salt

Optional: add 2 tbs of milled flax seed to get an additional nutritional boost!

Directions
1. Put pineapple, cilantro, sugar, lime juice, and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into popsicle molds…most have the sticks along with the molds, but if yours doesn’t simply add your own popsicle sticks…you can get them at craft stores
2. Freeze for at least 4 hrs or until frozen.  Dip molds in tepid water to help remove the popsicles…enjoy!

I hope y’all enjoy these as much as we did! Let me know how it goes!

~Christina




No comments:

Post a Comment