So there...that brings us back to how I came about this recipe. The nice thing is that you use a fully cooked rotisserie chicken (the ones that you find freshly cooked at the supermarket...near the deli/meat department). This really helps to shorten the "cook" (there is really no "cook" time since you use a fully prepared chicken) time for your meal. You can also adjust the amount of the spices, walnuts, grapes, or mayonnaise to your own particular taste : )...so get ready to make a quick and easy delicious and "healthier" semi-homemade chicken salad!
- 1 whole rotisserie fully cooked ready to eat chicken(the have various spices on the chicken...I just choose the original)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use "Best Foods" reduced fat mayonnaise with Olive Oil...has 1/2 the fat and calories of regular mayonnaise...plus it's made with cage free eggs, which is ok with me bc as vegetarian who is one bc of animal rights, those are the only kind of eggs we use on our house!)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup halved red grapes
- seasoned salt
*Optional: Don't dig grapes?...Then you can also use diced up apples...& like I said earlier, you can play with the amounts of add ins to cater to your particular taste!
- Be sure to thoroughly wash your hands first because you will be handling (literally) the chicken...be ready to get your hands a little messy ; ). Completely take off all of the chicken from the bone...you can use either a fork or your hands. I recommend your hands because it is easier and quicker...the meat off of a rotisserie chicken is moist so it comes off very easily. Place into a large bowl. Of course, remove the skin and fat and discard. Using two forks, (I do this right in the bowl) shred up the chicken into slightly smaller pieces.
- Add the mayo, walnuts, grapes, and seasoned salt/pepper to taste and gently stir together. Cover and I recommend chilling in the fridge for about 45 minutes to overnight (you can make this one the night before) since it helps the flavors to blend together nicely.
- Serve as you see fit-on whole wheat bread, whole wheat wraps, on top of a salad...get crazy ; )!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. My husband looks forward to this meal and since I'm a vegetarian, he gets it all to himself and lasts him several days...please comment and let me know how it goes ; )!